Obituary of Eugene Harvey Coleman, III
Eugene Harvey Coleman, III died on January 15, 2022 at Nathan Littauer Hospital in Gloversville, NY after a short battle with cancer.
Eugene was born on November 12, 1979 in Troy, NY to Eugene Coleman and Marianne (Bell) Wenzel and was a lifelong resident of the city. He attended Turnpike Elementary, Lansingburgh High School and graduated from Troy High School in 1999. Eugene was disabled but lived independently in his own apartment for the last 24 years with the help of Rensselaer County ARC. As a teenager, he worked at Fisher Pizza, Germania Hall, Price Chopper, Friendly’s Restaurant, Burger King and for many years at Riverside Enterprises, Troy, NY. Most recently he volunteered at Joseph House in Troy and at Forgotten Freshness Classic Games in Mechanicville.
Eugene was a past member of a bowling league at Uncle Sam Lanes, he loved playing pick-up basketball and was the Buffalo Bills’ biggest fan. He was a big fan of John Cena and wrestling. Eugene also enjoyed Art Therapy classes and provided us with many beautiful exhibits.
Eugene was loved by many who met him. He was a very generous and loving person. He enjoyed his annual birthday parties and invited friends and staff to attend. By May he was planning for the next birthday party!
Eugene is survived by his mother Marianne Wenzel; his sister Melanie Banks and his brother Raymond (Katie) Coleman, all of Ormond Beach, Florida; by his dear nieces and nephews Jack, James, Jada, Ethan, Kayla, and Isaac. He was the beloved nephew of Ruth Bell Hallenbeck of Buckeye, Arizona and Raymond and Anne Marie Bell of Bolton Landing.
Thank you to NYOH and the staff that cared for Eugene during his cancer treatment. You were so kind and gentle with him.
A very special thank you to:
- Rensselaer County ARC (79 – 102nd Street, Troy, NY 12180) and the staff who worked with Eugene helped him live an independent life, especially Sandy VanEcht who brought Eugene into the ARC program. He loved all of you like family.
- The staff of ARC Lexington, NY, (99½ East State Street, Gloversville, NY 12078) who took care of him in the last few weeks of life. He loved his new home and meeting new people there. You gave him so much joy!
- The staff of The Epilepsy Foundation Northeast NY, (3 Washington Square, Albany, NY 12205) especially Jenny Gurette & Mike Schmitd who helped get Eugene the services he needed.
- The Center for the Disability Services in Albany for providing him the therapy that he needed.
- Care Design NY (8 Southwoods Blvd. #110, Albany, NY 12211) for being an advocate for Eugene’s well-being.
Donations can be made to one of the above organizations in Eugene’s Memory in lieu of flowers.
Family and friends may call from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm on Thursday, February 3, 2022 at the Morris- Stebbins- Miner & Sanvidge Funeral Home, 312 Hoosick Street, Troy, NY 12180. A Funeral Prayer Service will be celebrated at 4:00 p.m. that afternoon in the funeral home.
Burial will be at 11:00 am on Friday, February 4, 2022 at St. Agnes Cemetery, Menands, NY.
Please feel free to express on-line Condolences by using that tab on this page.
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Eugene Coleman, III, please visit Tribute Store